Iowa State University

Study Abroad Requirements:

Students at Iowa State University must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 to study abroad. Students must also have sophomore status.

The Application Process:

Students from ISU must complete an ISU study abroad application in addition to the CIMBA application. The application process, deadlines, and other information can be found at ISU Abroad.  Please note that the ISU Abroad application deadlines may be different than the CIMBA deadlines.  See your academic advisor if you have any questions about applying.

Visa Information:

If you are a US or EU citizen, you will not need to obtain a visa to study abroad, due to the length of the program being less than 90 days.  However, if you are an international student, you will be required to obtain an Italian visa to study abroad with CIMBA. 

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT VISAS AND TRAVEL BEFORE, DURING, OR AFTER THE PROGRAM: The program is under 90 days, meaning the program is not long enough for a student to request a visa through CIMBA. Including travel breaks and weekends, there are 25+ days of travel built into the semester. Since the program is only 83 days, students can travel an additional 7 days before or after the program, totaling 41 free travel days in the Schengen area.  If students wish to travel longer after the program, CIMBA recommends students you travel outside the Schengen area during this time to avoid any visa issues. If you have questions regarding this policy, please contact Danette Bontrager at the Study Abroad Center.

Course Equivalencies & Transcripts:

Please see your academic advisor for a list of course equivalencies. CIMBA Leadership Institute courses can be applied as elective credit.

After applying, meet with your academic advisor to determine how courses will transfer and be used in your degree. This may require courses to be evaluated by College of Business faculty. You will see INTED or EXPRO credits on your ISU registration for the term you are going abroad. These are “placeholder” credits that keep your financial aid active and will be replaced by your study abroad credit. Transfer courses from study abroad might not automatically fulfill degree requirements on the degree audit.

Transcripts will be available for request online at the conclusion of the program.

After your transcript is received and processed by ISU, these courses will appear on your unofficial transcript in AccessPlus. At this time, meet with your academic adviser to ensure required adjustments are done to your degree audit as discussed before you left. Credits from CIMBA will transfer to ISU from the University of Iowa. Letter grades will not be calculated into the ISU cumulative GPA.

Financial Aid & Transcripts:

College of Business study abroad scholarships are available for ISU College of Business students attending CIMBA. The scholarship application can be found at ISU Abroad

External scholarship opportunities also exist for Iowa residents. Students are encouraged to apply for the Jeff Zimpleman Iowa Sister States Scholarship as CIMBA is located in 1 of just 9 eligible regions!

ISU students with questions regarding their financial aid while studying abroad should contact:

                Office of Student Financial Aid



Home University Contact Information:

ISU College of Business students wishing to study abroad with CIMBA should speak with:

                Carrie Graves-Warden, Academic Advisor

                ISU College of Business, 1200 Gerdin



Helpful Links:

ISU Abroad

College of Business International Programs: